How to choose domain for your brand.

• Senior

As webmasters, we all know that we have to host our websites somewhere accessible via the internet. We need to get a domain name for the same task, to direct us to where the website is hosted.

Why we need a domain name:

I will highlight two major reasons for having a domain name, the rest are minor, and actually I believe all webmasters know these already:

1. The domain name is required on all shared hosting environments, since you are sharing the IP with many users, unless... In this case, your IP address may not resolve to your website, you need to identify a domain name for it.
  2. As webmaster, your work is to reduce the complexity of things, you do not want to give out your full IP to your site visitors/clients which am sure it is hard for you too to memorize. Who wants to memorize: TriMRa's website is http://XXX.XX.X.XXX? Get them a domain name that is easy to memorize.

How do you choose the domain name?

First, it is important to have the business name in mind. Though this may not work properly with search results e.g. if my business name is "Dummy Name" and my business is about "Test Services", google "serchers" will be looking for "Test Services" and the ranking will depend on the keyword and all sorts of SEO...

My website visitors will be more than looking for "Dummy Name". But why? Because these are those interested in your name and already know about it. You do not want to confuse your regular visitors. Better keep them around with the name. The TLD does not really matter (though most clients that I have worked with [because of ignorance] prefer .COM or our SLD example-dummy-domain.CO.KE [of which they do not know how much Google hates ranking SLD's]).

hough if you would prefer going with keyword, I suggest using hyphens. In as much as we hate them, Google uses them (as spaces) to identify keywords easily.. e.g. dummy-domain.tld will rank top of dummydomain.tld with the keyword "Dummy Domain".

You also get to understand that you MUST NOT use free domain name for your business, unless you are testing your skills and nothing serious about it. Let me elaborate this a bit.

Why you MUST NOT use free domain for your brand:

In as much as it is fast to set up things quickly, and "costlessly", I have to warn you about this beforehand. (Right now, freenom, the popular registrar of free TLD's is banned from conducting business by ICANN, if you did not know. That is why you could not register your free .tk, .gq, .ga, .ml, etc. on their website recently..)

Back to topic....

1. Free domain names will always be snatched away by the registrar when you get reputation online, and you will regret your own.. (this is from experience, I had my first website with a .tk, and guess what? I had had the domain for sometime - a good duration, then I had gained a google PR of 7! by then. Then one day trying to access my website it is a parked domain. I tried to login to dot.tk but the domain was no longer on my profile... I had to cry alone.. I do not want to explain the downfall I experienced up-to-date!)
  2. Free domain names are hated by Google. You will not get ranked even if you have the superb content on your website. No matter the quality and value of your web content, you will still lie at the bottom when it comes to ranking, why...? free domain!
  3. Today everybody know free domain names. When a potential client realizes you are using a free domain, he will definitely run away. He wont risk with somebody who can't afford $10/yr. Yes, it does not matter why you had to take the free domain, even if it is a place-holder, all they know, you are broke that raising $10 in a year is a hard nut to crack... and the more distance they keep, the better and the safer.
  4. Maybe you want to offer free stuff like information or a nice blog that you are not selling anything.. NEVER use free domain, still. Get a good TLD and purchase, or find domain coupons and get discounted prices. You can also get free domain per year in the upcoming conest here (I hope it is coming, waiting for admin to clarify ;) ). then since you are not selling anything, you can sell advertisements and get some $ to pay for the domain the following year...

Let me not go off-topic, the rest is for another topic.

• Senior

Thanks @admin. I wont mind at all having it stickied. Though you did not give a clear direction of the point I left hanging somewhere about the upcoming contest. I hope we will win a domain name here, and save $10 for a year :p

So, let me get this straight: I should use a free domain? Haha. 

The few customers I've worked with wanted to get our country's domain so I never had the opportunity to use other domains.  The thing is:

He wont risk with somebody who can't afford $10/yr

Don't you charge an anual fee that includes this expenses?

• Senior

The few customers I've worked with wanted to get our country's domain so I never had the opportunity to use other domains.  The thing is:

This statement was referring to "you" (including me) and not the client. Maybe if you have your portifolio or something, you do not want to showcase your work with free domain. For clients, they need to purchase domain names - this they know. I was saying they cannot trust you with their work if your main site is running on free domain.. I hope you understand now..

This statement was referring to "you" (including me) and not the client. Maybe if you have your portifolio or something, you do not want to showcase your work with free domain. For clients, they need to purchase domain names - this they know. I was saying they cannot trust you with their work if your main site is running on free domain.. I hope you understand now..

Oh, I get it now, you won't look professional that way. Thanks for the explanation.

There is some interesting information here, but the issue is that it doesn't tell you how to choose your domain. Like okay I see your reasons, but how to find a respectable domain at a reasonable price? That is one of the reasons I stick to working off freelancing sites versus starting a website of my own. Because there are a lot of companies offering space that isn't worth anything. Like the hidden fees and the lack of good support and all of that. Sorry if I seem rude I'm just saying.

• Senior

Oh, I get it now, you won't look professional that way. Thanks for the explanation.

Welcome buddy..

There is some interesting information here, but the issue is that it doesn't tell you how to choose your domain. Like okay I see your reasons, but how to find a respectable domain at a reasonable price? That is one of the reasons I stick to working off freelancing sites versus starting a website of my own. Because there are a lot of companies offering space that isn't worth anything. Like the hidden fees and the lack of good support and all of that. Sorry if I seem rude I'm just saying.

I am getting your point... though I think it should be a post about how to find some domain name and deals on the price, since choosing a domain and purchasing it are related but different. It is good to separate them (just my thought)... If somebody can do it before I come here next, it will be fine. I will come around with some information... after sometime.. Am not online always.

This is an interesting article, i particularly like the fact that you extensively pointed out the cons of going with a free domain. The truth is if you need a website for serious business, the free arena be it domain or hosting should not be your playing ground. These days many hosting and domain registration companies are offering different discount coupons and i think that's where to look to at least get a cheaper price.

• Administrators

This is an interesting article, i particularly like the fact that you extensively pointed out the cons of going with a free domain. The truth is if you need a website for serious business, the free arena be it domain or hosting should not be your playing ground. These days many hosting and domain registration companies are offering different discount coupons and i think that's where to look to at least get a cheaper price.

First, Welcome to NetPen Forum ossy123.

I honestly believe that no matter what, if someone can not find a way to pay 7,8 ...10$ a year to buy at least one decent Domain name, actually doesn't have a need for Website, generally.

$10 =  a few packs of cigarettes, a few beers, two Big Macs ...

Choosing a domain name is more difficult these days, as there are also the extensions to consider. I personally don't like hyphens because they don't always come up in a search and often companies use them when they can't get the name they actually wanted.

I used to work for a company who used a hyphen in their domain name, and it never came up first because of the hyphen and people would get confused with a company of the same name without a hyphen.

I think a name needs to be easy to remember and to spell to the layman, and often the person who owns the company or domain don't consider this. I used to work for a marketing company and when they re-branded and gave us new email addresses, everyone complained because the name made no sense, and when we all gave out emails over the phone, we would have to spell it out (they shortened experiential marketing to xm).

As for free domains, I have used them for test sites and some of mine still generate a high google ranking. The problem is you don't have much say if someone does want to buy it and reserves it, so you can't renew it, then what do you do?

• Senior

I used to work for a company who used a hyphen in their domain name, and it never came up first because of the hyphen and people would get confused with a company of the same name without a hyphen.

Hi buddy, I think you are about to forget how search engines work.. How long the domain has been in work, the quality of web content, seo, marketing in general, hits received..........+++++all the variables. It is not a shortcut to going to the top overnight. NEVER! The domain without hyphens came top of your hypheneted because of the variables. You could be having the hyphenes without the key words in website, your website is only displaying images, no content (according to web search engines, images, videos and flash is NOT content), etc.. You understand why you never made it to the top.

• 1 year later...

It's difficult to find good names for your brand or start up.  Many domains are already registered and even if the .com is available, the other TLDs are not. Hence when we decided to build a brand, the first thing we looked for is to capture the brand and it's philosophy, along with a very direct yet unique approach to the necessary services and products offered.  That mixed with the future, focusing on the new Generation Z, which is after the millinials, we set out to look for our brand.  When we found Zosting.com was available, we immediately registered it.  We couldn't be more happy with our choice, vision and brand name :-)

[video=facebook]

• 2 years later...